Saturday, December 11, 2010

Rearranging day

     I renamed the book and rearranged the format of the Blog today.  I 've been waffling on the title for awhile and finally made the plunge.


     I really should be writing instead of goofying around with this blog, but I am easily distracted.  I'm happy to be back to writing the first book, I missed the characters and they are anxious to get going with the story.  I really need to buckle down and just write.  I was doing a little editing today and was happy with a lot of what I had written.  It's always nice to go back and say,"Wow, did I write that?  It's not bad."  It's a hellava lot better than, "I really suck, I should just quit writing."  I know there are weak areas, but I hope to clean those up on the edits. 



     I've been doing a lot of reading about editing lately.  There is a lot of advice out there, and I think you can probably find someone that will tell you what you want to hear, follow the rules - never follow the rules, write the way you speak - people don't speak they way it will work in book format, edit as you write - don't edit till you finish.  It really boils down to what is going to help your story not suck and following your heart.  If you are cut out to do this and make money at it, I think you will either have it or don't (You still need to learn a lot more or just write for yourself).  I haven't figured out which one I am yet, I have to actually finish a manuscript first.  I am not stopping now till I finish and hopefully I can do it by the end of January. 


     Then the wonderful task of editing and editing again and again, then having someone else edit it.  I actually can't wait to get to that part.

8 comments:

  1. I've only done a little "real" editing. I have rewritten a great deal of the beginning and in fact started over at one point after I have over 150 pages written. Not sure I would say I enjoyed that, but getting the story to hang together right is important, if not fun. I am trying to stop editing at this point and just finish the first draft. I often edit when I'm not in the mood to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. How close are you to done with the first draft? I recently completed DR-6 of my book and have begun DR-7. I love rewrites and edits. I love the puzzle of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I set a deadline to be completely done by 1 March. I think I am a little over 3/4 done with the rough draft. We'll see, ti should all come together pretty fast now. The March deadline includes rewrites and edits.

    7 drafts? Wow! I linked to Dean Wesley Smith's blog. He believes 3 edit passes is all you need, then mail it to someone. What is your goal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just grooving on DR-7 for now. I rather enjoy the rewriting and edit process, a great deal.

    3/4 done is great work. Good for you. I see that you are a NaNo Winner. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very important to like what you are doing and if editing and rewriting give you pleasure then that is awesome! It was my first time doing Nano, I decided to work on a kernel for another idea, hopefully that will be my next book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good deal. Great to meet you and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again for coming by! Great to meet you too! I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well!

    ReplyDelete

I've Moved

The Wordpress blog has been alive about the same length of time as this one, but my impression as I move forward is Wordpress will be a...