Thursday, December 30, 2010

Writing Guilt

      I started down this writing road about 3 years ago, or was it 4?  Slowly but surely I've learned the tools of the trade.  I've also slowly become more immersed in the act of writing.  I have a day job still and will for at least 9 more years, but I'm preparing myself for writing success and a career after my current career.  I write more and more in my spare time.  When I'm not writing, I'm thinking about writing or blogging about it.  I recently saw a quote:
"Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else." - Gloria Steinem
I find that to be very true.  Then there's this one:
"Being a writer is like having homework every night for the rest of your life." ~ Lawrence Kasdan
      LOL, it's so true.  I used to like to watch a few TV shows or catch up on DVDs of movies that I missed at the theater.  Now I just write in my free time and if I'm watching one of those TV shows or a DVD I feel guilty, that I really should be writing instead.   Anyone else have this issue?


Clear Ether!

5 comments:

  1. Love the second one. It cracks me up. No, I never feel guilty. When I'm done writing, I want to be done and enjoy doing other things.

    Right now, we're groovin' on Eureka on Netflix and watching old Frasier's on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Eureka, but it looks interesting. I have several good movies to watch and I missed almost the entire season of Burn Notice to catch up on. I still watch shows and play video games, but I still have a nagging itch in the back of my mind that I should be doing something more productive, like writing. =)

    What about on days that you didn't get any writing done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have scheduled writing for the most part, and when I have a day off from writing and my job at the shop, it's always nice. Just to have that day to do ANYTHING, I want. I value those.

    For me, days of full rest and play, are just as valuable as my days working.

    Never saw Burn Notice. Never saw that zombie one out either. Can't recall the name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is discipline! Working 50+ hours a week and being father to 4 kids and trying to be an attentive husband takes a great deal of time. I just try to write when I can. Maybe that's why I feel the guilt when I choose not to write in the time I do have. Of course it would be better if I scheduled it. =)

    I think Supernatural is the show you are thinking of. I haven't seen that one either, but it looks interesting also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't watch TV, TV, so I often don't know what's about. Love the Netflix instants. Hulu is pretty good too.

    You have a great deal on your plate. I hope you find a way to release your guilt.

    I look forward to reading more of your blogs. Happy Writing New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete

I've Moved

The Wordpress blog has been alive about the same length of time as this one, but my impression as I move forward is Wordpress will be a...