Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Why do we do it? (No excuse, sir!)

Get that chin in, maggot!  Oh, sorry, flashback. There is only one answer to a "Why" question when you're a freshman at the Academy, but I digress... 

There’s been a lot of noise on the interwebs lately about how or why people should blog or even in some cases not bother to blog at all.  Some of it I agree with and some of it I think is bordering on the ridiculous, but is that really anything new?  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  

I am fast approaching my one year anniversary on this blog and looking back I had no idea what I was going to do with this site when I started.  The entire purpose has always been just to have a space out here in the nether to share stuff that interested me, and the largest focus has been on writing, because that is what I’m doing with the bulk of my “spare” time.  On the other hand, I always did intend this to be a place to connect with other people.  I am extremely flattered that anyone is reading this stuff.  I’ve found that I really like to see people stopping by and reading and leaving comments, it has its own addiction.   I love being able to connect to my favorite authors in this new electric frontier, it’s easier than ever before, so in that vein I started this blog with the hopes of one day having my book published and have a place to connect with my readers.  Maybe that’s conceited, it’s certainly not intended to be -- I like to think of it as hopeful.


I’m not nearly as disciplined as a lot of my friends who post multiple times a week and on a set schedule, but this was never intended to be about anything specific, just a forum for me to share bits of whatever flotsam crossed my path.  Roni Loren put it very well, "I am not a blogger who writes. I am a WRITER WHO BLOGS!" 

I’ve found that I enjoy blogging.  Maybe it would be better if I had a set schedule of different stuff for each day of the week or at least specific days.  Chuck Wendig has a great format over at Terribleminds.  He has a food blog, 25 things, an interview, a word challenge and a random post about whatever strikes his fancy.  Not in that order.  Jami Gold posts every Tuesday and Thursday about writing and blogging.  Roni Loren has two blogs, one specifically for writing and one to promote her “Author platform”.  I’m definitely not ready to do anything that ambitious.  Just trying to post at least once a week for a year has been a challenge.  Not one I always accomplished, but I am going to try something new… I am going to start a regular series of posts about the story I’m working on, as I get it ready to sell.  It might still be awhile before it comes out, but I am going to share nuggets from the book.  I’m going to introduce characters and setting, to hopefully flame the interest a little. 

The first installment is going to be on how I created the story.   I’m leaving something to look forward to.  Heh!  Thanks to everyone who's shown up!  I really appreciate it!

Clear Ether!

6 comments:

  1. I'm doing a research paper right now about online journalism and its effect on the media industry. Interestingly, blogs are widely gaining appreciation as forms of journalism.

    Some are even heralding blogs as "the next golden age of journalism" because of the free format, allowance for discussion through comments, and the wide variety of blogs that exist. Newspapers are falling by the wayside, in some cases...can you imagine a future with no physical newspapers but a collection of blogs run by newspaper professionals as your news sources?

    Interesting to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think blogging is a very enjoyable way to make contact with other writers, and the information sharing and support is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Roni Loren. I'm a writer who blogs.

    It started out to just have a presence out there (I Google my name and I'm listed!!) and to keep track of the blogs I followed. Then I started stressing that I wasn't blogging anything interesting (heck, I still think that). But I do want to connect with my readers - as soon as I'm published and have them, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn, I can't wait to follow your blog then! =)

    Thank you for coming by and commenting, Elizabeth, and I agree with you 100%!

    Stacy, you hit the nail on the head, you should look at my early blogs, they were quite lame, but it has always been about the presence and the connection. Thanks again for stopping by, I apologize for not giving you a heads up on the award! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your new series, Todd! :) I'll probably do something similar eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jami! You are a great role model for all of us bloggers! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete

I've Moved

The Wordpress blog has been alive about the same length of time as this one, but my impression as I move forward is Wordpress will be a...