Tuesday, September 6, 2011

World of Warcraft is the Bane of Productivity!

     I have to come clean.  I’m addicted to World of Warcraft.  That’s the first step, right?  Back before I started writing my novel, I mean years and years before I pretty much didn’t do anything productive with my free time.  I played Massive Multiplayer Online games.  I’ve played a lot of them, starting with the old Neverwinter Nights game on AOL, Meridian 59, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2 and then the mother of all of them … World of Warcraft.  That’s not even all of them but you get the idea.  I played WoW for probably close to 4 years then finally tired of it and started writing in my spare time instead.  I can’t tell you how good it made me feel to do something at least semi-productive with my “free” time. 


     But I did it.  A few weeks ago I went back in to WoW to try the new expansion.  My kids did it first, then my wife and she said it was fun.  One of my coworkers, who plays a lot, said it was fun.

     It is fun.  Now I’m hooked again.  I make plans to spend a good part of the day writing or editing and decide just to pop in to do a quick quest and next thing you know the day is gone.  Somebody help me!

     As an aside, we took our daughter to college a few weeks ago and set her free.  She came back this past weekend, but you all know how that goes. =)

     I passed my Air War College test, but it took them 6 weeks to grade the last test and it shot my timeline all to hell, so I won’t be getting promoted on this upcoming board.  It’s not their fault, I started way too late.  I’ll have it done for next year, so now I can throttle back a bit and actually try to finish editing my book and maybe get in some new writing too.  I have some ideas for the sequel that are forming, and I need to get those down, if I can just stay away from WoW.  It’s got a very strong pull, but at least I can recognize that I have a problem and there is no such thing as just a little WoW for me.  I haven’t bathed been keeping up my blog or twittering much either, but I’ll making an effort to put it behind me.  I hope you are all having a much more productive week!

Clear Ether!

9 comments:

  1. Speaking from experience I know that Azeroth is a dirty mistress, she beckons from the furthest reaches and with little effort is able to pull you back no matter how long it has been since you journeyed her shores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is worse than stopping smoking I think, that only took me three tries. The only thing that might save me is that Star Wars Old Republic may draw me in and break-up my addiction to WoW, but that is replacing one addiction with another perhaps. LOL. Thanks for coming by and posting a comment Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I don't play on-line games. I have enough problems with my e-mail!

    Good luck in quitting, though. I know how addictions can be. Right now mine is with JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books. But at least I'm reading. That's better. Right???

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, that is better Stacy! I still read too, but usually in times and places where I can't write. This is something I passed on to my kids too, so I'm not just an addict but an enabler too.

    I'm glad you came by, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started playing a few years ago when i went to a private university and lived in the dorms - being a bit older I was trying to relate to the 20 year olds. I had never really been in to gaming before then but since then its been a slew of them - but I always fall back on WoWcrack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back away from the computer games and nobody gets hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bah! I play warcraft, still play warcraft, and I'm writing more now than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard from a few of you that you play and write. Congrats on having the discipline to do both. But I'm struggling with it. I'm still revising my book and working on some follow-ons, but I'm spending WAAAAYY too much time in WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love WOW! I love it so much that I can't play it. Period. I'd love to but I have zero will power. * sigh *

    ReplyDelete

I've Moved

The Wordpress blog has been alive about the same length of time as this one, but my impression as I move forward is Wordpress will be a...