Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I love eBooks but Book Stores are the Bomb!

I had a really enjoyable time this morning.  On the spur of the moment I stopped at a brick and mortar bookstore on the way back from Indianapolis.   It had been several years since I’ve been in a good one and I found it stimulating and ridiculously fun.  It was like going to a candy store.  Since I’ve started writing with a purpose and learning the craft, my appreciation for good stories and great crafters of phrase has increased dramatically.
 
I also find that I’m keenly aware of lots of things I used to take for granted, things like how stores are arranged to draw you in, how employees treat you, how a story is unfolded, lots of little things like that; I’m paying a lot closer attention to everything.  I also pay a lot of attention to the way things are shaping up in the publishing industry and it was my first time in a book store since things have really started to drastically change in the legacy publishing world.  I think to most normal people it is likely happening without their even being aware of it, unless one of their favorite bookstores is closing.  But the eBooks were right in front as you come in the door.  The big push is on.  It’s been on for a while now I suppose and the underlying numbers show eBooks increasing each month.


There is something magical about spending time in a book store and I really hope they manage to find their way through all the changes, as life would be lessened by their absence.  It was delightful to be able to browse and read the dust jackets and see what they had on display.  I could spend an entire day in a book store and not get the least bit bored.   While I was there I found 3 books that I want to read, EmbassyTown by China Mieville, Robopocalypse: A Novel by Daniel H. Wilson, and The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi.  Just like that.  I hadn’t seen these online except I think I remember someone on Twitter mentioning that they thought Robopocalypse was awesome, but I had no idea what it was about.  All of these books have imaginative ideas for the premise of the book.  Stuff that makes you say, “Wow, that’s so cool!” I‘m amazed at their ideas, they are so original and interesting, and it’s humbling to the novice writer.  I really need to do this more often.    Whenever I see books, it makes me want all the more to finish mine, whether it’s the grocery store, the drugstore or the bookstore.  There are so many people writing books these days.  Is it more than before or does it just seem that way because I’m paying attention?


Clear Ether!

3 comments:

  1. I hope the brick & mortar bookstore doesn't go away anytime soon. As much as I love the convenience of the eBook, there's nothing like sitting outside on your favorite lawn chair and thumbing through the pages of a printed book while listening to the birds sing in the background.

    Any eBook that I really enjoy reading always finds its way to my bookshelf of physical printed books (if a printed version is available).

    Great post, Todd! I'm glad you enjoyed your adventure at the book store and "found a home" for those lonely books. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, books are great motivators. You read a good book and the wheels start turning. Like Rob, I hope the brick & mortar bookstores stay.

    ReplyDelete

I've Moved

The Wordpress blog has been alive about the same length of time as this one, but my impression as I move forward is Wordpress will be a...