Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Roadblocks

Hey everyone!  I've discovered something about myself in the past couple of months.  It doesn't seem to matter how much time I have to write, I end up with about the same amount of output.  If I have an hour to write, I can really get down and get into it and pump out a few hundred words.  If I have all day with nothing to do but devote it to writing I find a myriad of other things to squander my time and not write and still manage to trickle out a few hundred words.  I've had some really good days where I managed several thousand words, so I know it’s possible, but I seem to do better when the pressure is on.


Well the pressure just got turned on.  I made a career decision in my day job that is forcing me to spend large chunks of my spare time studying -- at least for the next several months.   In my day job, I was a Squadron Commander for our support squadron and held the civilian level of GS-13 along with a military rank of Lt. Colonel.  This past week I signed papers to take a promotion to GS-14 and make a stab at getting promoted to Colonel.  I changed jobs to be the Operations Officer for one of our flying squadrons.  In order to get promoted I need to complete a Professional Military Education course called Air War College.  I had pretty much made up my mind not to get promoted, so I haven't done much with it.  My promotion board for Colonel is late summer and I have a mountain of catching up to do, so most of my spare time is going to be spent studying and taking tests, until I either finish the course or flunk out of it.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy though, so I have to spend a little time updated my blog and trying to keep up with my new twitter friends, don't forget me please!  I will still be trying my best to finish the last few chapters of the WIP and get it edited.  But it will be going a little slower for the next few months I fear.  Hopefully, I can still sneak in an hour or two here and there.  

Wish me luck! I'll be thinking of all of you while I'm studying!

Clear Ether!

7 comments:

  1. Wishing you bunches of luck and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Todd!
    Congratulations on the promotion. Every step up is a bigger retirement check!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my best Rob Schneider voice: "you can do eeet!"
    I have a simliar productivity quotient...if I have twelve things on my to-do list, I finish ten. If I have three, I finish one. I have to keep a few things on the list so that they can have babies and keep me busy tomorrow. Unfortunately, that seems to keep me two steps away from "The End" no matter how hard I try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i completely understand what you mean. last month i had an entire weekend to devote to writing my book...i got 4 pages done. though, i could do the same amount in on night. good luck with the promotion. use writing as a release from stress. don't let it stress you out even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ivy! Stacy you are so right! it's a big step up if I get there.

    Teri Anne and Perceiving, you both seem to suffer from the same malady I do, I have a Masters in Procrastination! At least when it comes to writing. I've actually gotten a little better since doing NaNoWriMo, but its still a struggle almost every day. Why is it a struggle when it's something I want to do? You got me.

    Thanks so much for coming by and taking the time to post a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that picture you chose for this post, ha. A super congratulations for the promotion. I will be praying for you to finish the course and not flunk out. We definitely won't forget you. Don't worry about that. Oh and finishing the last few chapters of a WIP and editing is a lot like finishing a marathon. And well, you're getting promoted to Colonel so I can imagine you don't have a problem with endurance...right? Pshhh, you so got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Lili, just having friends come by and post makes me happy. I am actually OK with having to study now. I've trained myself to stop playing video games and watching TV, so I seem to have more time. =)

    ReplyDelete

I've Moved

The Wordpress blog has been alive about the same length of time as this one, but my impression as I move forward is Wordpress will be a...