Thursday, October 25, 2012

Next Big Thing Tag


NaNo Prep: The Next Big Thing.  Janice Hardy tagged Jami Gold, who tagged me.   I’m honored that she picked me and I’m going to do my best to answer:

Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:

Quoting Jami:
As NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month—write a 50K word novel during November) is all about writing “the next big thing,” I decided this would be a fun tagging game to play.
So have I.

What is your working title of your book?  
Clear Ether.  This is the2nd title I’ve used for it, but I think it works.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
This is my first novel length work, and I had a couple of idea kernels that I ended up mashing together, (those make the best stories don’t they?) one being about a vampire and the other circling loosely around my experiences sitting alert as a military pilot.  It made at least half a dozen major morphs before it emerged into what it is now.

What genre does your book fall under?
It is Science Fiction Adventure with romantic elements.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Okay, believe it or not I already had this figured out, LOL.




(Protag)Remie La Jeunesse – Matt Bomer






Anneliese Trahan – Emily Van Camp




Chloe Naquin - Alexandra Daddario







Conall La Jeunesse -  Logan Lerman







Sage La Jeunesse – Chloe Moretz







Sebastian Meijer – Cary Elwes





I am actually considering doing a screenplay version, but have to cut about 300 pages.  Heh.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Remie thinks that being a vampire is not all it’s cracked up to be, once he outlived his wife and watched all his offspring die one after the other, and is ready to call it quits, until a chance meeting with a hot tempered young female pilot reignites a spark of life in his long dead heart.

Okay that’s kinda long, but I cover a lot of ground and that doesn’t even scratch the surface.  It takes place 700 years in the future and we have inhabited 58 star systems outside of our own.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I am going to shop it with a few agents and if that doesn’t work I may try the slush pile at a few book sellers.  If all else fails I may self-pub …  or, I may trunk it.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Another tricky question that on the surface seems simple enough.  I’ve been working on this book for more than three years, but the actual draft that I am currently using took a little more than a year to write. 

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I know there are a few cheesy movies that have vampires in space, but this book is nothing like that.  It’s a character driven story.  I know that Jane Fancher has a story, called Blood Red Moon, with vampires, mixed with science fiction but I haven’t read it.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I have wanted to write a novel for about 25 years, and finally put aside video games and made a serious effort to do just that.  It has been a steep learning curve, but I’ve met so many great people on the journey it has made it all worthwhile.  I’ve learned a great deal about writing and publishing in the process.  I think I am closing in on the magic one million word mark and it is all starting to make more sense.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
My vampires are not quite the traditional sort.  They are spawned from an alien phage that came to Earth via meteor strike in ancient time and nearly wiped out an entire region in Europe before the survivors figured out what they were.  It has star travel and space battles and poker and romance.  Chloe Naquin is Remie’s actual granddaughter, from the daughter he had before he was turned.  She is the only person he has ever turned into a Nemisi, and she was a quadriplegic until the day he turned her.  She runs a syndicate made up of Remie’s thousands of descendants from his two children.  Of course he couldn’t have any more children after his turning, but he reunited with his wife for the rest of her life. There is lots more.

Include the link of who tagged you and this explanation for the people you have tagged.

Jami Gold tagged me.  She is a writer and blogger extraordinaire and I expect she will be famous before too much longer.  She is one of my oldest twitter friends and I’m excited to cheer her on for NaNoWriMo this year.

Stacy McKitrick is my writing partner. She just finished the draft on her 5th book and is shopping her stories right now.  We have been working together for a little more than a year and I really appreciate everything she does.  It’s also a joy to share in someone else’s journey.  NaNo Stacy?

Jane Fancher is a writer and artist and is back at the writing thing after a hiatus.  She writes Sci Fi and just released Netwalkers: Partners, a prequel to her acclaimed Netwalkers trilogy.  I’ve read it and it rocks. 

Karen Woodward is a long time twitter friend and a prolific blogger.  She collects lots of great information on writing on her blog.  I’m not sure if Karen is doing Nano either.

Gerry Wilson is a writer and I only recently met her doing a blog challenge (that I am failing) but she has a wonderful way with words.  Gerry, are you doing NaNoWriMo?

I am doing NaNoWriMo again this year and I am Kardaen on their website, and my story this year is tentatively called Requiem for Memory.

Clear Ether!

10 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so happy to be doing NaNo with you this year. I remember cheering you on in previous years, and this year I get to play too. :)

    Ooo, and I love the pictures you chose for your characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fun! I'm looking forward to all of us pushing each other to write!

      Delete
  2. No NaNo for me! Never have done it, either. But I'll see what I can do regarding this tag. Right now I don't have a Next Big Thing, since I just finished my last big thing and am now working at editing the big thing before that! I think I have too many projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it, Stacy. It really makes you work hard to put butt in seat. That is the best side effect. Even if you don't "win".

      For your Big Thing it can be the last book you finished the draft on, since it actually is your WIP. =)

      Delete
  3. I could use that push to write - I'm thinking of trying NaNoWriMo for the first time this year. But I thought you had to write your first draft for it - so the questions on this confused me.
    Jane Ann
    http://www.janeannmclachlan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Ann, for the Next Big Thing I talked about my current Work In Progress, which is nearly complete after several revisions. For NaNoWriMo I am starting a new project, but the "rules" are not really hard and fast. The idea is to write a new book of at least 50k words in one month, but they only count the words. A lot of people work on editing a project or a continuation of a previously started project. I try to stay faithful to the idea of a fresh start, and use these are the guts of a new project. I would love to team up with you to encourage your writing for NaNoWriMo or anytime really. But you can click on Kardaen in the last paragraph and it will take you to my NaNoWriMo author page where you can friend me.

      Delete
    2. This is helpful. I'm so busy - but if I can use it as I need, I may well join.
      So glad you took my challenge so I could meet you. Hope you'll come back next year - I'm going to make some changes to keep it interesting and flexible. Hope to see you at NaNo - unless I chicken out and wait till next year.
      BTW, I found your next post very useful, too.
      Jane Ann
      http:www.janeannmclachlan.com

      Delete
    3. Hi Jane Ann, I'm glad I signed up too, even though I didn't finish. I really enjoyed getting to know everyone better through their posts and hope we can all remain friends. I will likely sign-up next year, I can always use a good excuse to blog more. =) I hope you decide to NaNo, even if you stop early it's a fun thing, especially combined with twitter.

      Delete
  4. Hi Todd, thanks SO MUCH for the nomination. It's funny that someone else tagged me about the same time! It's a fun project though. Loved reading about your WIP. Can't wait to see the movie! :-)

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Your WIP looks very interesting too. A movie would be cool. =)

      Delete

I've Moved

The Wordpress blog has been alive about the same length of time as this one, but my impression as I move forward is Wordpress will be a...